Posted on: February 22, 2021
Position Title: Fiber Technician------Splicer To: Location: SE
General Summary: The primary responsibilities of the Outside Plant
Technician------Splicer will be to splice fiber optic cables in
both outdoor and indoor settings, read, create and maintain
splicing schematics and diagrams, maintain control of outside plant
(OSP) activities surrounding the assigned work site(s), taking and
maintaining accurate splicing and field notes, support project
timelines, and inspecting, designing and providing accurate staking
sheets for projects.
Other duties, responsibilities and qualifications may be required
and/or assigned.This position requires field work which may include
overtime, weekends, holidays, and off hours. Travel will be
required and may be up to 80%, depending on the business needs.
Essential Job Functions:
- Splice fiber optic cables including both loose tube and ribbon
optic cables. Construct a proper splice case, including but not
limited to: grounding, bonding, isolation, slack storage and
sealing. Prepare and maintain splicing records, schematics and
- Build graphical worksheets for contractors use and use drafting
technique in Visio and other required programs. Understand Staking
Sheets and ITD/UDOT blueprints.
- Perform work in accordance with industry standards. Read and
follow design engineers instructions and specifications, maintain
the scope of work on the project and adhere to safety
- Prepare engineering field notes. Interpret buried underground
and aerial telecom facilities in records, on maps and in the field
with clarity and detail and make recommendations for changes in
running line or construction methodologies. Facilitate conversion
into CAD and Visio programs.
- Enter and maintain outside plant records.
- Participate in engineering, permit and construction processes
to support project contracts.
- Perform routine maintenance. Recognize and repair route issues
including Hand Hole cleanup, sign placement, and weed control.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved
in production or precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings,
and models. Understanding of how to read Staking Sheets.
- Knowledge of how to fusion splice both loose tube and ribbon
fiber optic cables. Know how to place a mid------sheath
- Working knowledge and experience of current computerized
operations, CAD systems, and Visio.
- Proficiency with Microsoft applications.
- Ability to work with clients regarding engineering problems,
confer with customer contacts while communicating with the Outside
- Ability to pay close attention to detail and make good sound
decisions based on information given.
- Ability to multitask and stay organized under pressure.
- Must hold a valid Driver's License.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of 2 years same or similar position
- One year experience of construction with Outside Plant Telecom
- A degree in Civil, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
preferred (any engineering discipline acceptable).
- Desirable work experience includes field engineering and
project lead responsibility. Supervisory experience a plus.
- Strong computer skills with Microsoft applications.
- In------depth understanding of technology based services,
products and networking.
- Experience in Project Management a plus.
Keywords: BroadStar, Lakeland , Fiber Technician, IT / Software / Systems , Lakeland, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!